Sunday, August 27, 2017

After battling depression, Tshego Mosupye wins MTV Base VJ Search; gets 12-month Viacom Africa presenter contract on MTV Base.


After having battled depression, Viacom Africa announced Tshego Mosupye (26) as the winner of the MTV Base VJ Search on Sunday evening who will now join MTV Base as a new presenter with an initial 12-month contract.

Tshego Mosupye from Pretoria who also won other prizes, beat out Kuhle Adams and Gontse Makgoba as well as 8 000 other hopefuls in Viacom International Media Networks Africa's (VIMN Africa) nationwide search for a new MTV Base presenter.

He will now make appearances at international award shows and report for MTV Base (DStv 322).

"Youth culture is the heartbeat that drives our business," says Monde Twala, vice president for BET, youth and music for VIMN Africa in a statement announcing Tshego Mosupye as the new MTV Base VJ.

"MTV Base remains on trend and continues to nurture fledgling talent into on-screen superstars and we see Tshego as another incredible local success story."

"Winning the MTV Base VJ Search has already transformed his life and we look forward to his journey the next year. Our VIMN Africa vision for the continent is to work towards unlocking the potential of our homegrown talent."

In the prepared statement Tshego Mosupye says "As a VJ, one must be fully aware of what's happening in the streets and current affairs in relation to the music. I am thrilled and humbled to share the stage with an iconic brand as MTV Base, a channel that is always ahead of our time and always shifting youth culture."

Tshego Mosupye says "people might think I have it all figured out. They don't realise that I'm the guy who is inspired by people and this motivates me".

"I look forward to revealing the real me - not the dude that looks like he has it all together, because I don't really, not always."

He says he "loves fitness - one of the methods I reached out to to break free from my bout of depression. I read and I love creating and designing clothes.Whatever I do, I always give it my all and do the best I can. I am inspired to become my greatest self."