Wednesday, August 31, 2011

THE ART OF SPIN. Why journalists covering television in South Africa get upset, irritated and give up - and the basics of handling things better.

SABC, SABC1, SABC2, SABC3, e.tv, M-Net, MultiChoice and DStv, On Digital Media and TopTV, the PR companies for individual shows and the PR companies for entire TV channels - even the events management companies who have and look after individual TV channel accounts - please please read this great article in The Media magazine entitled ''The Art of Spin''.

Dear PR person who takes too long to answer, don't answer or never respond to my media enquiry(ies), make me ask the same thing multiple times, isn't honest, or don't give me the full facts (which often I already actually know but I'm looking to see how forthright you're actually willing to be with me and indirectly, your viewers), please, if you read one thing today - read this article.

Of course there are a few wonderful people at a few select PR companies and TV channels and production companies and places who are simply wonderful with always talking, always respond quickly, people who actually build a relationship, maintain a relationship with the press, is open, honest, truthful and quick. I love you and today I'm not talking with, about or to you. Like in Lost, I'm talking to ... the Others.

This brilliant article that appeared in The Media magazine will explain exactly why I get upset when I get upset as a journalist covering your company/show/channel, why your (bad/not yet known) news somehow seems to spin out of control (and what you can do to control things), and what in general it is that those horrible press people (like me) actually want, need and expect to get from you - and why and what we will simply go ahead and do if you (1) do nothing (2) do something too late (3) don't respond adequately.

''Nature, and the media, abhors a vacuum and they will fill it with speculation if there is no access to information. Your spokespeople are critical to keeping the information on track,'' states this article, and yet, so sadly (and irritatingly so) the majority of spokespeople who get paid a monthly salary and that we as journalists are told to work with and ask for information, simply don't respond (or in time) even after multiple enquiries. ''Don't deny, delay or do not respond or reply,'' says this article, and it explains why.

''Get your facts together and then keep the narrative flowing. Second important rule: make sure your spokespeople are ready and available,'' says this article. I couldn't have put it better myself.

As a journalist who often struggle to get the story first and then keep on it - I often getting a lot of very close to accurate information from sources. Meanwhile a broadcaster, operator or production company incorrectly assumes that if they say nothing or don't respond that I won't get or don't have the story or information - that you can keep silent and thereby keep a lid on it. Here's the thing: Once I'm approached dear TV channel/production company/TV platform and I don't write it, believe me - my competitors and the next press person on the list are already alerted by the same source(s). Exactly as this insightful article in The Media says: ''Whistleblowers and others can easily share confidential and often damaging information, and news reporting can rapidly escalate and blow situations out of proportion.''

So, dear broadcaster, TV channel, pay TV operator, production company. I already know 95% of what is happening in October 2011. I'm actually waiting to see who, if anyone, will actually approach me and say: ''This is happening, and we want to tell you about it, but please don't break that news yet'' or ''can we talk and organize something''.

But it hardly ever happens, and then you get upset. October is looming and it's going to be a BIG month for the South African television industry. The SABC and SABC3 has big changes coming. M-Net has its 25th birthday. TopTV and DStv and dare I say (shhhh)... new channels. And e.tv that hardly ever tells about a new show before I actually have to ask first ... 

... Please read this article.